Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Trading Drinking and Smoking for Beets and Sprouts

I remember being 16, and running cross country for my school. I would accomplish more before 2nd period than my last 4 years combined. Now I'm lucky if I don't get winded going up the stairs after work. I mean, I'm only 23, but the long nights I've spent (and continue to spend) during my post high school days have taken a toll on my health. The drinking, the smoking, the only getting 3 hours of sleep before working a 10 hour shift. Why do we do these things to our bodies? It has become far too easy to forget about my health. I'm a twenty something, I don't have roommates, and the only person telling me what to eat is myself. The only person telling me when to go to bed is myself. I've noticed I'm a terrible enforcer. I will let myself eat that entire pizza, or stay up until 4am. I must admit, this freedom is something I've craved since I started driving. But these days, I know it's bad because I crave my mothers "well balanced meals." I used to hate the idea of eating those odd veggies, and I didn't understand why she served fruit for dessert. Today however, give me that fruit. Give me beets and brussel sprouts. I won't complain. I've decided that when my body tries to tell me something, I'm going to start listening.


Motivated and Attentive,
-Meredith

No comments:

Post a Comment